fall

fall

family pic

family pic
Family 2009

Trip to Ukraine

Sunday, February 1, 2009

One Year Ago: Breaking The Girl Out

So, early Monday morning......or later that afternoon as Ukrainian time goes, we were finally able to take her from the orphanage gates forever.  I was feeling better, but shaky and pale (as shown in photos from that day) but nothing would stop us from making our escape that day.  We had treats for her going away party, and small gifts for the staff, all per Yana.  I had her outfit all ready, a cute dress, heavy Ukrainian tights, shoes and a girly pink jacket.  We arrived at the orphanage and they let me change her in a room by myself.  She was apparently told of the happenings because she was ripping her clothes off!  She had worn the same skirt every single day since we had met her, with the exception of pajamas.  I really wish I would have kept it, but at the time I just didn't care.  She was so excited and proud of her new clothes.  There were many adults at the party that I had never seen before, and everyone was friendly and happy.  We were allowed in an area of the orphanage that we had never been in before.  They actually let us see the sleeping room, and where her bed was.  Yana took my camera and snapped some pictures of the forbidden areas and I am thankful for that.  The party was over soon enough and we left there forever.  Deanna was holding our hands and skipping all the way. It was very, very happy and exciting for all.  She knew she was leaving with us but I was still worried if she really understood that she would not be returning.  Come nightfall would she freak out??  At least we had Yana to help us communicate.
We went to a small restaurant for dinner before leaving town.  Yana ordered Deanna noodles with milk and sugar, she said kids eat that.  Deanna ate very little of it, she was still so excited.  Afterward we went back to the apartment to get out things and wait till it was time to go to the train station.  After we had been there a while Deanna became out of control. (Yana left to get train tickets so we had no help) She was so hyper and would not mind us at all.  She was running around grabbing everything.  I was really afraid she would break something.  She started grabbing drawers and yanking them out, all while laughing and having fun.  I had to get very stern and restrain her.  She started crying and crying.  I felt terrible but I had won.  She settled down and didn't act up like THAT again.  I now know that when she is tired she becomes more and more hyper and silly.  We still had to make the overnight train with a tired, overstimulated child.  This was overstimulation like she had never experienced before.

No comments: