fall

fall

family pic

family pic
Family 2009

Trip to Ukraine

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Past Due Updates, #1 Deiana

I have not updated the blog for some time, so here it goes.  Everyone is fine, life has just been so busy!!
Deiana continues to do gymnastics.  It is her passion and her social life.  After spring season she has moved up to the optional level.  This means individual routines and harder tricks.  She is now at the gym  5 days a week and loving it. 
She finished up 4th grade and had a great year with a teacher she loved.  She is at grade level and loves school (for the social aspect anyway) but still does not fancy reading and has to be forced.  If she would apply herself to school work she could be further ahead. 
In the beginning of the summer Deiana had surgery to repair inguinal hernias she has had since birth.  They had not been an issue until this winter when they started to be painful at times.  The surgery went fine but she did have a lot more pain than I anticipated.  She has a high pain tolerance and previous surgeries have been fairly easy for her.  I guess putting scopes through all those tight muscles did some damage.  Three week out her belly button became bright purplish pink and stuck out.  We visited the surgeon and they thought it was just a localized reaction, possibly her body trying the reject a permanent stitch used in the surgery. I experimented with some topical creams and it did improve fairly quickly.  She is finally close to 100% recovered.  She says she is NEVER having surgery again.  We will see about that.
She is on a break from her braces while we wait for a couple of teeth to come in.  One is coming in further back in the cleft area and the other was way up high but now beginning to show in the correct location.  Before the next round of braces I am contemplating changing to another orthodontist that much closer to us.  Her current one specializes in craniofacial orthodontia but is far away and I don't care for his "bedside manner".
This spring Deiana had a routine immunization, commented on how it didn't even hurt, was walking around jabbering like usual before quickly fainting and striking her head on the floor.  She was unconscious for a minute and very confused after that and had a headache for a week.  It was very scary us both.  It seemed like she had some sort of a reaction to the medication.  However after she had surgery and they were taking her IV OUT, I looked down at her and she was white as a ghost and going out fast.  I put my hand on her head to keep her from falling out of the chair, so at least no head injury this time. You would think after all of the medical procedures and high pain tolerance Deiana would be able to breeze through anything, but we have now been warned, the tough girl is officially a fainter.
Finally some random pics from the last few months.














No comments: